CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Saturday, March 29, 2008

Blog feature: Katswearableart

As a proud member of Etsy.com, I've decided to start showing off the talent I've come across on Etsy. I want to put polymer clay artists in the spotlight, where they belong :) The first beautiful shop I found, Katswearableart.

Here are a few of my favorite pieces from her shop:



I love all the details in this polymer clay pendant. Elegant, Beautiful, just a beautiful piece all around.





Here is a beautiful tulip pendant, just in time for spring! The perfect accessory to set off any spring color.





I love the traditonal, oriental feel of this piece. The beads are really the icing on the cake for this awesome polymer clay pendant.





And last but not least, here's one for the fairy lovers (like myself :)). Very beautiful, whimsical piece.

Here's what the creator had to say about her carft:

Polymer clay is probably the easiest, most satisfying and versatile medium I have ever used. It can resemble so many things: skin, stone, wood, ivory, plastic, metal just to name a few. The expense for supplies and equipment is probably the lowest out of any art related start-up costs I can think of. Almost anyone can make something wonderful the first time they use it. The shelf life is very long, too, so it is easy to keep going back to. That is how I started making components for jewelry with it - I was cleaning out my "art/craft" cupboard in the kitchen and "found" all my polymer clay supplies again! (When my daughters were very young they had dollhouses and we used the polymer clay to make tiny objects and food.) Today, there are so many books showing new techniques that I have been very eager to start experimenting again.

I originally started working with polymer clay around 10 years ago; aside from the dollhouse miniatures I was very interested in one of a kind art dolls. I spent enormous amounts of time learning how to sculpt the faces. Unfortunately for me I have absolutely NO sewing skill, so I ended up with all these faces on sticks looking at me! As it turned out, I made a line of pins that incorporated the faces with quotes and sayings.

My current favorite technique is using the polymer clay as a focal bead, or pendant, with a transfer image. My background is in Illustration and Graphic Design so I enjoy putting elements together digitally then transferring it to the polymer clay. It is a many layered process with baking, coating, and sanding till the pendant looks and feels like a smooth, aged piece of ivory. I love combining different textures, colors, and time periods; for me, it is the contrast in these things that make these pieces interesting.

Check out her shop! http://katswearableart.etsy.com

0 comments: